A couple of general notes about all three races (5k, 10k, and ½ marathon):
- All races will be fully supported will aid stations every 1.5 miles, complete with water, Gatorade, and port-a-johns, course marshals to direct foot traffic, and medical staff on-site.
- All roads will be closed to thru traffic.
- All three races will use the same common start/finish located near the pavilion in the Millennium Park Meadows (on the east side of Maynard Ave… opposite side from previous years).
- We will have a staged start with a half hour between the start of each race. The ½ marathon will start at 8a, followed by the 10k at 8:30a, and then the 5k at 9:00a. This will allow for the majority of runners from the previous race to clear the course before the next race catches them
- All courses follow the same route for the first 2.9 miles at which point 5k runners/walkers will make a left turn to the finish… 10k and ½ marathoners will continue straight. See below for more info about each route.
- All courses will be well marked and directed by race volunteers. We guarantee you won’t get lost… or have to think too hard about where to go! (But… be sure to know your general route beforehand.)
- All courses are flat and fast with only a couple of very small, gentle hills to keep it interesting. Each of these are great options for any level athlete, from the new runner looking to complete their first race, to the elite runner looking for an early season PR.
Our 5k course is a flat, looped course that will start on the paved trail behind the pavilion in the beautiful Millennium Park Meadows.
A small incline around mile 0.3 will get your blood flowing, but won’t ruin your legs for the rest of the race.
This course will continue on the paved trail as it winds through park and around the lake.
Runners and walkers will cross Maynard Ave at mile 2.5. Police will be on hand stopping traffic to give runners the right-of-way, however, athletes should be alert and exercise caution when crossing the road.
5k Runners and walkers will make a left turn at mile 2.9 to the finish back near the start line. (Note: the 10k route continues straight at this point. Signage and volunteers will be present to direct.)
Our ½ marathon course will follow the same route as the 10k until mile 3.5 (see above).
Turn right at mile 3.5, crossing the pedestrian bridge over the river.
Turn right onto Indian Mounds Dr. Stay to the right side of the road.
Turn-around at mile 6.5 and follow Indian Mounds Dr. back to the pedestrian bridge.
Turn left at mile 9.2 onto the pedestrian bridge
Turn right at mile 9.3 after crossing back over the bridge. Note that there will be two-way traffic at this point with 10k runners on their return route.
Continue straight at mile 10.5 past the 10k turn-around point, following the paved trail as it winds back to the finish line near the Meadows pavilion.
As with all of our courses, this one will be beautiful, flat, and fast!